top of page

The Town of Edwards
Historical Association

The Town of Edwards has had a historical group since the 1970's, sometimes more active than others.  The present Association began in December 1998.

Our new museum is located at 222 Main Street, Edwards, NY. The museum's new building has expanded the collection of historical material and artifacts that concern the history of the Town of Edwards.

This building is on the site of the first Edwards High School.

There is a variety of items that represent the unique character of the town. The people of Edwards are recognized through their photographs, diaries, stories, homes, cemetery census and an extensive collection of local genealogies. Furniture and household items of past generations are on display. Farming has been a major factor in this town and for over 200 years where milk, cheese, butter, maple syrup, pork and beef were vital. Mining of zinc and talc were major industries. Local businesses such as retail stores, restaurants and the hotels were important to the town. Items from farming, mining and local businesses are presented. We recall the evolution of our country and village schools. We remember our local men and women who served in the armed forces. Churches, social organizations, and our fire-fighters are remembered

The Start of Edwards

Edwards is Township #8 of Macomb's Great Tract No. 3.  It was originally a square, but later a section from Hermon was added to the upper right hand corner.  The military highway and the waterpower from the Oswegatchie River induced settlers to come to the town and establish businesses and homes.

While the first settlers came in 1812, and the large influx of Scottish immigrants in 1819, the town was not organized by an act of legislature until April 7, 1827.  The original community was started on the Island with the first annual meeting held at the hotel of William Martin on May 1, 1827.  Orra Shead was elected the first supervisor.

The village expanded on the mainland along the military highway (the Russell Turnpike) and the town developed with farming.  Then the discovery of talc and zinc made the community a mining town until 1981 when the mines closed.

Mission Statement

The primary purposes of the Edwards Historical Association shall be:

  • to collect and preserve artifacts, written articles and memories of the village and town of Edwards, and

  • to disseminate information to the general public through welcoming visitors to the museum, open meetings of the historical association, printed articles and cultural events.



Please consider joining the Edwards Historical Association.

Annual Dues

Individual membership: $5.00

Family membership: $10.00

Lifetime membership: $100.00

Digital Work Life

Meetings & Activities

The Association meets on the second Wednesday of the month at 1:30 PM at the History Center, March through November.  Programs of local interest are presented at each meeting.  Local citizens are encouraged to contact the Historian if they are interested in assisting with future programs at the monthly meetings.

Writer Icon

Educational Programs

The Historian is prepared to present programs on local history to school and other groups to share the many aspects of Edwards for the information and enjoyment of others.

E-mail Mrs. Dean  or call(315)778-3043


Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 PM during July and August. 

All year by appointment.


Our town historian is Charlotte Dean  

She may be contacted by phone at (315)778-3043 or by email

bottom of page